Monday, November 11, 2013

QUILTING

My other "sharp shiny" object hobby is quilting.  I made few quilts way back when:  one for my own bed before I was married, and two others for my girls' beds when they were small.  After years of not quilting, my friend Lou got me back on the bandwagon several years ago.  I have to admit my favourites are baby quilts:  they're fun to design, and are usually finished before I've lost interest.


This picture shows some of the projects Lou and I were working on during one of our quilting weekends:  the Indian silks table runner is hers, and she is working on the very colourful purse.  I made the purse with black/brown prints on the right, as well as the baby quilt with half-square triangles.   Triangles show up a LOT in my work; Lou avoids them like the plague.  She, on the other hand, is addicted to nine patches.  I do them when I can't avoid them!
 
 
This one went to a new baby boy:  hope Felix enjoyed it!  With both applique and half-square triangles, I certainly didn't get bored!  The only challenge was fitting them all together.  It was based on a pattern from a magazine, but modified slightly to use some leftovers from other quilts.  The "crazy quilt" patch at top right, the pinwheel, and the orange/blue bowties all appear in quilts made earlier.  I knew there was a reason I held onto them!

 
Wool work is a new and fascinating part of my hobby:  I was introduced to it at a quilt retreat a year ago.  The biggest advantage is that I can use it to keep my hands busy with something OTHER than food while I'm watching tv!  This small hanging is my own design, and also has embroidery on the back.  I made it for a friend of mine last winter.
Because most of my quilting projects are given away, I try to take pictures before they leave.  It's been "fun" trying to find them in my picture cds, though:  I'm going to start keeping a separate folder so I can file them there as I go.

 



1 comment: